Precautions When Using Your Fire Pit
When using a fire pit, taking proper precautions is crucial to ensure safety. Here are some precautions to keep in mind:
1. Choose the right location: Place the fire pit on a non-flammable surface, preferably bare dirt or concrete, and ensure it’s at least 10 feet away from structures or combustible materials.
2. Clear the surroundings: Clear the area around the fire pit from overhanging branches, dry grass, leaves, and other flammable materials. 3. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby: Have a functioning fire extinguisher or a garden hose nearby in case of emergency. Ensure that everyone knows how to use it.
4. Never leave the fire unattended: Always have a responsible adult present when a fire pit is used. Never leave the fire alone, especially if children or pets are around.
5. Use the right fuel: Only use dry, seasoned firewood, as it produces less smoke and sparks. Avoid using treated wood, cardboard, or flammable liquids as these can release harmful toxins or cause uncontrollable flames.
6. Start the fire safely: Use an appropriate fire starter or kindling to start the fire. Avoid using lighter fluid or gasoline, as these can cause dangerous flare-ups.
7. Manage the fire size: Keep the fire at a reasonable size within the dimensions of the fire pit. This helps prevent the flames from spreading out of control.
8. Never overload the fire pit: Avoid overloading the fire pit with wood or other fuel sources. Excessive fuel can lead to larger flames, making it harder to control the fire.
9. Supervise children and pets: Ensure that children and pets are safe from the fire pit and never allow them to play near it or handle any fire-related tools, such as pokers or tongs.
10. Extinguish the fire properly: Before leaving the fire pit unattended, extinguish the fire completely. Use water or sand to douse the flames and stir the ashes to ensure no remaining hot embers.
Always check the local regulations and guidelines regarding fire pit usage, as they can vary depending on your location.
From our office in Atlantic Beach and satellites throughout Northeast Florida, Rockaway Inc proudly serves both commercial and residential landscape design, maintenance, lawn care, irrigation, and outdoor living carpentry client needs in Jacksonville, St Augustine, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra, Nocatee, St. Johns, and Fernandina Beach.