Ideas for Creating Shade in Your Backyard
Here are some popular ideas for creating shade in your backyard:
1. Trees and Plants: Planting or taking advantage of existing trees in your backyard can provide natural shade. Choose trees with spreading canopies that will offer ample shade during the sunny hours of the day. Oaktree canopies can provide your backyard full shade, whereas large plants such as bamboo, bananas, and birds of paradise provide partial shade depending on their position in the landscape.
2. Patio Umbrella: A simple patio umbrella is a classic and versatile option for providing limited shade in your backyard. It can easily be moved and adjusted to block the sun’s rays and is typically for individual use and small gatherings such as picnics and cookouts.
3. Sun & Shade Sails: Sun sails are large pieces of fabric available to create shade in your backyard. They come in various shapes and sizes and can be mounted to structures like pergolas or attached to poles in the ground. Shade sails are similar to sun sails but made from a more durable and waterproof material. Either option can be installed to provide shade over your patio, pool, or any other desired area.
4. Pergola: A pergola is a structure that provides partial shade by supporting climbing plants or lattice panels. Rockaway carpenters can build a customized pergola to fit your backyard design and offer a relaxing and entertaining area.
5. Retractable Awning: A retractable awning is a convenient option that can be extended or retracted as needed manually or by electronic and remote control. It can be attached to the exterior wall of your house or mounted on posts and provide shade overhead or vertically during the day’s heat.
6. Outdoor Curtains: Outdoor curtains are a stylish way to add shade and privacy to your backyard. They can be hung from a pergola, gazebo, or porch and come in various colors and patterns to suit your style.
When determining the best shade solution for your backyard, consider your budget, the seasonal path of the sun through your yard, the amount of
coverage needed, and your preferences to make the best decision. Also, our landscape architects and designers regularly help clients work through shade ideas when developing landscape plans, and our carpenters build custom shade solutions.
From our office in Atlantic Beach and satellites throughout Northeast Florida, Rockaway Inc proudly serves clients in Jacksonville, St Augustine, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra, Nocatee, and Fernandina Beach.