Issues to Consider When Hiring A Landscaper
Here’s a list of issues to consider when hiring a landscaper:
1. Experience and expertise: There are numerous types of landscaping specialties. Look for a landscaper with significant experience and expertise in the landscaping specialty you want to have done. Ask for references or examples of previous work they have done.
2. Insurance and licenses: Ensure the landscaper you hire has appropriate insurance coverage and any necessary licenses or certifications. Doing so will help protect you from liability in accidents or damage to your property and speaks to their professionalism.
3. Range of services offered: Determine what specific services the landscaper provides. Do they offer design, installation, and maintenance? Confirm if they have the expertise to handle the particular requirements of your project.
4. Portfolio and testimonials: Review the landscaper’s portfolio that’s often available in online galleries and on social media, to get an idea of their previous projects and the quality of their work. It’s also helpful to read testimonials or reviews from past clients to gain insight into their customer satisfaction.
5. Cost and budget: Determine your budget for the project and then obtain quotes from select landscaping companies to compare costs and ensure that their services fit within your budget. However, be cautious of quotes significantly lower than others, as they may indicate a lack of quality or hidden costs.
6. Communication and timeliness: Determine how effectively the landscaper communicates with you during the hiring process to indicate how they will communicate during installation. Good communication is crucial for understanding your requirements and ensuring the project is installed as expected. At Rockaway, our installation foremen provide a daily written progress report with photos and the next day’s action plan. This allows you to spot any issues during installation that can be immediately addressed.
7. Reputation and reliability: Research the landscaper’s reputation in the industry and community. Check online reviews and ask for referral recommendations from friends and neighbors to gauge their reliability and customer satisfaction.
8. Safety: Look for a landscape professional with a good worker safety record and whose staff will wear appropriate attire with proper personal protection equipment (PPC), not flip flops, shorts, and a tank top. Landscaping often involves using heavy equipment that requires experienced operators to protect themselves and your property best while operating.
9. Environmental Considerations: Look for a company that prioritizes water conservation, stormwater management, proper waste management, and using native plants
10. Contract and terms: Before finalizing the hiring process, get everything in writing. Ensure that all the services, warranties, guarantees, and payment terms are clearly outlined in a contract to avoid misunderstandings or disputes later.
11. Availability and responsiveness: Consider the landscaper’s availability and responsiveness to address any concerns or ongoing maintenance needs after the project is completed. You’ll want to hire someone who can provide ongoing support when necessary.
Considering these issues, you will be better equipped to hire a reliable and skilled landscaper to meet your specific needs and deliver a beautiful outdoor space.
From our office in Atlantic Beach and satellites throughout Northeast Florida, Rockaway Inc proudly serves both commercial and residential landscape design, maintenance, lawn care, irrigation, and outdoor living carpentry client needs in Jacksonville, St Augustine, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra, Nocatee, St. Johns, and Fernandina Beach.