Using Green Tomatoes
Click Here to view or download this guide as a PDF.
Rockaway Garden Center Tips
Using Green Tomatoes
Near the end of the tomato season you’ll soon be wondering what to do with those tomatoes that won’t ripen in time. Green tomatoes can be either a variety of tomato that is green when ripe or an unripe red tomato. Either can be eaten. Tomatoes that are green when ripe usually also have some striping or other variations in color, are soft and taste like a red tomato but possibly slightly sweet or spicy. An unripe red tomato will be green all over, feel very firm and have more of an acidic or tart flavor. Nutrition is better in the ripe green tomato than the unripe red tomato.
To ripen an unripe tomato, wrap it in newspaper or put it in a paper bag by itself or with a ripe banana, apple or tomato. The release and containment of ethylene gas will help the tomato to ripen. Putting tomatoes on a windowsill in the light will cause the skins to toughen.
If you don’t ripen them, it turns out there are a myriad of ways to use green tomatoes in recipes, besides Fried Green Tomatoes. You can pickle them, make Green Tomato Salsa Verde, Grilled Green Tomatoes with a savory marinade, Green Tomato Rice with bacon, Sweet Corn and Green Tomato Fritters, soup, and even ketchup! Follows is a recipe for Fried Green Tomato Parmesan from allrecipes:
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 10 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl until smooth. Pour crumbs into a shallow dish. Dip each tomato slice in egg and coat with bread crumbs. Arrange on baking sheet in single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 5 minutes each side.
- Pour 3 cups spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with a layer of tomato slices. Layer half of the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top. Repeat layers with remaining spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, and cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes.