Landscape Hurricane Preparedness
Click Here to view or download this guide as a PDF.
Here are a few tasks which can lessen landscape damage from a hurricane:
- Prune any dead limbs and open up trees to allow for better airflow.
- Install lightning protection on tall high value trees.
- Remove debris from storm drains to ensure a clear path for storm water.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts.
- Remove and store or tie down container plants, hanging baskets, yard art, wind chimes, bird feeders and any other structures capable of being upended or thrown about the yard.
- Remove coconuts and palm seeds that could release during the storm and cause serious damage.
- Wrap larger plants, vines and shrubs with strong fabric such as burlap or floating row cover to help them withstand wind.
- Cover a bed of smaller plants with floating row cover to help them withstand both wind and driving rain.
- Harvest mature crops from your vegetable garden.
- Turn automatic sprinkler systems off.
- Do not empty your pool. Protect your pool pump and equipment.